I put a poll up on my insta if you all would like to read about recipes I tried out and the majority said YES! So, below is a skinny chicken fajita soup recipe I found on Pinterest but I tweaked it a little. It was soooo yummy and it was the perfect soup to warm you up for this cold weather that Nashville finally has now. Also, I just went to Alabama to visit some family this past weekend so I’ll be talking about that as well. Enjoy!
This is the recipe link if you want to go by the book : Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup via Pinterest but if you’re like me and don’t go by what the man tells you then read below how I made this yummy, warm, and healthy soup.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (I used one red and one yellow – remove seeds and chop)
- 1 red onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 can of black beans (drained)
- 1 can of corn (drained)
- 8 cherry tomatoes (remove seeds and chop)
- 8 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth (I used half and half)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1/2 cup rice of basmati rice
WHIP IT TOGETHER –
- Heat a large 6-8 quart pot on medium heat, add oil, add chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Sautée for 3-4 min.
- Begin cooking chicken on low to medium heat. Add salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning packet, add pinch of salt. Add 1/2 cup of rice and add 2 cups with it (because rice soaks up water like no other). Lower heat and let simmer for 25 minutes (may have to add 10 minutes extra because of the rice).
- Once chicken is cooked, shred the chicken with a fork, and add to pot, let simmer for 5 more minutes and woohoo, you’re done! EAT!!
Let me know if you make it and how much you love it! Now, onto the Alabama recap part of this post.
First of all, I am and always have been so in love with the state of Alabama. I love the way I feel once I cross the state lines. It’s a beautiful state filled with so many friendly peeps. I got to drive past the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. I got to see cotton fields which I’ve never seen before. I got to hangout with some of my Alabama and Kentucky fam. It was a fun filled week with puppies, cats, UNO, wine, rum and coke (my drink of choice), family stories, laughter, football, and love. I had a great time and want to go back already haha. Before I left, I stopped at Moe’s Original Bar-B-Que restaurant and I was so impressed. I got the stuffed potato with shredded chicken and banana pudding for dessert. It was so good and I just found out there is one in Franklin, TN so I will be going back for sure!
I am so thankful I get to travel to places that make me feel alive all over again. Nashville is fun to live in but I would love to live in Alabama one day, it’s always felt so welcoming and I feel so at ease there. Maybe I will live there one day. Who knows? All I know is I’m enjoying the ride that life is taking me on.
“Choose your happiness over everything.”
❤ Brooke Paige