It’s crazy how we lose ourselves a little when we get too “busy.” I for one have extreme difficultly managing a lot of things at once. I hate to say that aloud because I feel like it makes me weak. It doesn’t, it makes me human. I try to take on too many things at once or I put things off until last minute. Stress is terrible and it can really do some damage. I’ve found a few ways to help myself deal with stress better. It’s almost final weeks for me, so it’s crunch time and my stress level has sky rocketed to epic proportions. I have listed 7 helpful tips below (7 is my lucky number *fun fact*) for you or for someone you know that is stressed to the max, maybe reading this will give you peace of mind if only for a little while.
1.) Stay off social media
– Since when did getting a certain amount of likes determine your self-worth? Give up social media for a while and see how much better you feel and you’ll also see how much more time you have to do fun activities or in my case: homework.
– Get those feel good endorphins pumping by kicking ass at the gym. Running helps me and I’ve even noticed that at my most stressed times I ran faster. I guess you could say I was running away from the stress metaphorically speaking. 😉
3.) Write it out
– Maybe I am speaking from a biased point of view, but I love to write and it really helps me. I have a journal that I write in when I have the time and every time I write in it, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. It’s therapeutic and it can be comforting finding solitude in the eloquence of words.
– I find comfort in soft tunes when I’m stressed. Lately, I’ve been listening on repeat Selena Gomez’s new song, “The Hearts Wants What It Wants.” It’s a really sad song but the beat and lyrics are comforting. I like sad songs due to my morbid sense of music and humor (it’s not unhealthy to be like that by the way). I also like really upbeat songs too, I recommend making a playlist and dance like no one is watching; Yes, shopping cart and the “Carlton” are allowed. Find a song that makes you feel powerful and happy, or in my case a song that makes you want to Beyoncé stomp down the street.
5.) Invest in a planner
– Without my planner I would be one lost soul. If I don’t write it in my planner, it doesn’t get done (I’m very forgetful). Writing out a list of things you need to get done is a good way to keep yourself on track. I love at the end of the day when I have everything checked off of my planner; it makes me feel super accomplished. Nerdy right? Get like me.
6.) Time management
– There is just not enough hours in the day. It may seem like this especially when you have so much to do with such little time. What helps me is decide what is most important and will take the longest. Doing this will help you get stuff done and when you’ve completed these hefty tasks, you’ll be relieved when you see you only have things left to do that won’t take up an unnecessary amount of time.
7.) Spend time with the positive people
– We all have that one friend who is a Debby Downer…ditch them for a while (or forever) and stick with the people in your life that lift you higher. I’ve found that surrounding myself with positive people makes me feel more determined and happier with myself. You are who you hang out with after all. Why would you want to be friends with someone who seems so miserable anyway or who has nothing nice to say. Hey, that rhymed!
I hope these helped you out a bit in stressing less and having fun more. Life is way too short to not enjoy the journey. We often forget that these are the years we’ll miss one day. It’s sad to think of it like that but it’s the truth, and no one ever said the truth was pretty. Live life like it’s your last day and love like you’ll never get the chance to again.
Stress can cause many problems physically and mentally, so avoid them by taking a few deep breathes and shake the stress away (or listen to “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift) . Use these tips when things are unclear for you and hopefully you’ll see a silver lining.
P.S. I used 7 tips because it’s my lucky number. Just a little fun fact for y’all.